jayne

jayne

Understated book

Consequences  - Aleatha Romig

Okay let me start at the beginning. Yes i have been very vocal with my views on this book. But firstly i want to get one thing straight. If i hated this book i would not of continued to read it.Believe me if I don't like a book, i don't read it.

This book has been categorised with the likes of Fifty shades, Eight days and The Crossfire novels. This book may contain sexual scenes but it is nothing like those. I am not saying that in a negative way. Or wanting to take anything away from this book or the other. I just believe this is unique.  I also want to congratulate the author on not only her remarkable ability of writing, nor on how i was gripped by the book, but on the added bonus of making me talk about it. I do believe my friends as sick of my whining about Anthony Rawlings and Claire Nichols. I was gripped by this book, i think for a time it ruled my life and even now after just finishing it my heart is beating quicker.

So back to the book. We meet Claire Nichols who is an out of work weather girl who is now working in a bar. A chance meeting with a handsome business man by the name of Anthony Rawlings seems just that, a chance. Suddenly everything Claire once knew and cared for is taken away from her. She is locked in a luxurious suite, with clothes costing more than her pay check. Yet not everything is as it seems. Anthony can appear nice and charming one minute then with a flip of a switch he is mean and nasty. He says he will pay of Claire's debts all she has to do is be at his beck and call, cater to his every whim or need.

In theory, if given the opportunity would you take it?

She soon came to realise that actions had consequences. Not doing as she was told, answering back, being late all came with consequences. Yet there was days, times he could be charming, treating her like a princess, spoiling her, treating her. But the price she paid was high. Her freedom. Her liberty. Her self worth. She had no access to a phone, to TV, to internet. She was like a bird in a gilded cage. She had everything she needed and more, everything that is but her freedom. Is it worth it? Claire learnt to cope by locking everything away, as she called it, compartmentalization. It was the only way she could cope. She did as he asked in order to not get a punishment. To keep up public appearances, the smile on her face hide so much, the clothes she wore covered the bruises. The arm that held her was like the gun at her side. I prayed she would escape. I will her to run. Yet she didn't, she was conditioned not to, she had grown to love him. Claire is in love with Tony. They marry at Christmas, have a lavish honeymoon in Fiji, she is happy. And no its not Stockholm Syndrome.

Then that fateful day, the day she choice to take the car and go for a drive, something she had not done in nearly 2 years, was the day everything changed. And i mean EVERYTHING. Now Claire is yet again fighting for her freedom. And i am still right by her side, fighting with her. Watch out Tony, the new and improved Claire is gunning for you. You ruined lives, too many lives and she hasn't forgot it.

I will say i did guess a little of the story line. I actually thought that one or two of the accidents wasn't really accidents but made to look like they was.

Yes i did enjoy this book, yes i will read Truth (got it on my Kindle already) and i will read convicted.